Monday, December 6, 2010

Songs Of Christmas

I love everything about Christmas!! One of the top things I love about Christmas are the songs. I listen to them non-stop from day after Thanksgiving till day after Christmas.

Last year my mom gave my a book called Stories Behind The Best-Loved Songs Of Christmas by Ace Collins. I think it is a must have for every home library. I wanted to share with you, my beloved reader's, some of my favorite songs and the stories behind them. I will pull out some of the best parts of the story and you will have to get the book and read the rest for yourself.




While writing part of his church's Living Christmas Tree program, he began to wonder what it was like for Mary to be the mother of Jesus. In his mind, he began to interview Mary and wrote down his questions. Four years later he shared these lyrics with a friend and songwriter. "Mary Did You Know" by Mark Lowry became a hit, Southern Gospel's first Christmas Carol.

Ace Collins tells the story much better than I. This song might never have been put to music if it had not been for...well you should really read Stories Behind the Best Christmas Songs.

2 comments:

Genie said...

Of course you know I love the song; but even though I bought the books for you, THANK YOU so much for telling me about them. They are a "must have" in my library too. I sooooooooooooo enjoy reading them!!! Just wish the TV did not win out and the whole family enjoyed them too. Thanks for the wonderful advice!

Genie said...

Love the song too! Even though I gave you the book, THANK YOU so very much for giving me the great advice to listen to the programs about them on FLT(?)!!! I agree, they are "must haves" in your holiday library! Please pray the TV quits winning out and the stories get a chance to be heard! Love to all of you-Mom