Monday, January 31, 2011

Yummy, Yummy Goodness

I have decided that my adventure in cooking, baking, and eating real foods that are wholesome and good for you is bread making. To be very honest I am scared to making bread. I can't tell you why because I don't even know but I am. I grew up watching my mom make bread all the time, so I should have no fear of baking bread, right? Well, today, I faced my fear head-on and I made Honey Whole Wheat Bread!!! I am still a little confused because the recipe said to add 3 more cups of four at the end and well I add two and that was enough. The bread tasted amazing says my to kids and myself so I will be happy with that. I made to double batch of the Honey Whole Wheat recipe because I also wanted to make a loaf of cinnamon swirl bread. This is Mackenzie's favorite bread. She would always be asking me to buy her bag at the store but I just didn't feel okay with buying it and knowing all the bad stuff that was in it. When I went to read the list of ingredients I could not read half of them. So that is why I started to make my own. I do believe that this just may become a weekly habit at the Rumphol house. We could not wait to for it to even cool, we had to try it right out to the oven, yummy!!

Honey Whole Wheat Bread
6 cups whole wheat flour, divided
1 3/4 cups warm water, divided
1/3 cup honey
1 pkg. yeast
3 Tsp melted butter

1. Mix 3 cups of whole wheat flour with 1 1/2 cups of warm water in a large glass bowl. Allow this to sit for about 30 minutes.

2. In a small bowl mix together 1/4 cup warm water, yeast and honey. Allow this to sit for about 10 minutes, or until the yeast is activated and becomes bubbly.

3. Add salt, butter and yeast mixture to the flour and water mixture. Gradually add the remaining 3 cups of flour stir well.

4. As the dough becomes harder to stir, pour out onto a clean counter and begin to knead the dough. Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes.

5. Place the ball of dough back into the bowl and cover with a cloth. Let dough rise for one hour, or until it has double in size.

6. Pull dough out of bowl and knead for another 2 minutes until the air bubbles are gone.

7. Cut dough in half.

8. Place dough in butter pan and let rise for another 45 minutes.

9. Bake at 350 degree in the oven for 50 minutes.




No comments: